Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Day 45 - I "think".

It's hard to keep track of time when you are trying not to keep track of time. It's kind of like when you were a little kid and you didn't want to do something - if you close your eyes and squint them together really hard - and stick your fingers in your ears - what you don't want to happen - isn't really happening. That's how time is when you are dealing with a deployment - you have a calendar, you check off the days - but the real truth is - you have your fingers in your ears - and your eyes squinted shut and you are just trying to get through the next year with as much sanity intact as possible. Anyway, I think it's "Day 45" of our 'boots on ground' time - if it's not - I'm sure you'll get over it.

Four guys have been lost from Al's brigade already. They weren't anywhere close to Al - in fact, they weren't in the same company - or the same unit - three were due to accidents - one was due to an IED - it's very frustrating - and I feel so much for their families. It could be any of us - at any time. I made the brilliant decision to read a Cosmo article "My Fiance Died in Iraq" on Valentine's night - I don't think I've cried that hard yet. Al and I are very sorry for the losses that everyone has experienced.

Al is staying put where he is at - which is good and bad. Good because he already knows what this location is like - and with that, he already knows what to expect. He has good "chow" (gotta love this military lingo) and the conditions aren't nearly as bad as some people have it. Bad because he's separated from some of his good friends that I know that he misses. He will be helping to run the TMC - Troop Medical Clinic - where he is at.

I have posted some new pictures that Al sent me. I love the one of the sunrise - every part of God's creation is beautiful if we only take the time to see it.

Sorry for the long time between posts - I ran out of things to talk about and I had foot surgery on Friday - nothing exciting - just barfing from anesthesia and a sore foot. I learned an important lesson too - crutches suck.

Al is taking a trip tomorrow to see his friends at another Camp - I hope to have lots to tell you then!

No comments: